Group Lessons from Mark Hanson
I have been teaching since the age of 20, and have considerable experience teaching group classes. I taught group lessons for years in the California Community College system, for a period of time at Stanford, and for decades at various guitar stores and schools around the country. I have even given workshops in Germany auf Deutsch (but I have a larger vocabulary in English!!). In my workshops I try to balance demonstration, explanation, and student participation. The workshops are hands-on, so bring your guitar!
Each year Greta Pederesen and I host the Accent On Music Fingerstyle Guitar Seminar in Portland, Oregon. I hire two of my high-level cohorts (for instance, John Renbourn, Tommy Emmanuel, Laurence Juber, and Ed Gerhard have taught with me) to join me for a four-day intensive seminar. We have a maximum of 35 students, so everyone gets close attention.
Stores and Schools
These days I often teach a workshop or two (or four!) at a guitar store or in a community school in or near a town where I am performing. As I stated above, the format is a balance of demonstration, explanation, and student participation. If you know of a school or store - or a house/home owner, for that matter! - that you think would consider hosting me, please contact us at 503-699-1814 or by e-mail. A list of recent workshop locations is listed at the bottom of this page.
I have well over two dozen workshop topics that I have developed - each with a unique repertoire. This allows me to continue to visit the same locales annually without boring anyone! A sample list is included here. For a more complete list, please contact us.
- Alternating Bass Fingerpicking (Travis Picking from bottom to top!)
- Fingerstyle Arranging
- Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
- Triad Power - Fretboard Visualization Made Easy (or Easier!)
- Make the Uke Sing!
- Celtic Guitar and DADGAD
- Jazz Chords Made Easy
- Chord Substitutions and How to Use Them
- Christmas Guitar
Recent Workshop Locations
The following is a list of venues where I have taught group lessons in the past few years:
- Boulevard Music - Culver City, California
- Chicago Old Town School of Folk Music - Chicago, Illinois
- Chicago Music Exchange - Chicago, Illinois
- Community Conservatory - Doylestown, Pennsylvania
- Dusty Strings - Seattle, Washington
- Gryphon Stringed Instruments - Palo Alto, California
- Minnesota Guitar Society - St. Paul, Minnesota
- McCabe's Guitar Shop - Santa Monica, California
- The Music Emporium- Lexington, Massachusetts
- The Music Workshop - Berwyn, Pennsylvania
- Swannanoa Gathering - Asheville, North Carolina
- Union Music - Worcester, Massachusetts
For more information, or to host Mark, please contact us at 503-699-1814 or by e-mail.